The outline of the program is as follows:
- Candidates complete requirements for a bachelor's degree in the first four enrollment years in any area in which the candidate is seeking licensure and for which Wheaton College has an approved licensure program. Candidates take 24 credits of professional education courses—EDUC 135, EDUC 136,EDUC 136L, EDUC 225, EDUC 225L, EDUC 305, EDUC 505L, their major department’s methods course, EDUC 527L, EDUC 506, EDUC 541 and EDUC 542.
- During the fall semester, candidates will be enrolled full-time for their student teaching experience (EDUC 596, EDUC 587 and EDUC 594 ) and spring semester for graduate courses (EDUC 531, EDUC 598, INTR 618, BITH 521, and a Category I BITH course). With the satisfactory completion of student teaching and the State of Illinois examinations, candidates can apply for State of Illinois teacher licensure.
- In consultation with the M.A.T. coordinator, M.A.T. students who are not involved in an educational setting after completion of coursework may petition to substitute EDUC 698 Thesis and pay tuition for the additional two hours.
- Each subsequent semester until the ARP or thesis is completed, candidates must enroll in EDUC 599 Action Research Continuation or EDUC 699 Thesis Continuation and pay the continuation fee.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching degree will be awarded once all degree requirements are complete and the action research paper or thesis is satisfactorily completed and accepted by Buswell Library.
Wheaton College Graduate School
Toll free: 800.888.0141 or 630.752.5195
Requirements for the Accelerated Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary/Special Licensure degree are 34 graduate hours:
|Select the appropriate teaching methods course from the major department|
|EDUC 527L||Secondary and Middle Education Practicum||0|
|EDUC 531||Ethical Perspectives on Teaching||2|
|EDUC 541||Statistics in Education||2|
|EDUC 542||Research Methodologies in Education||2|
|EDUC 506||Classroom Communication and Curriculum Integration||4|
|EDUC 587||Philosophical Foundations of Education||3|
|EDUC 594||Craft Of Teaching||2|
|EDUC 596||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 598||Action Reserch Paper||2|
|INTR 618||English Language Learning Content Methods and Materials||2|
|BITH 521||Theology Of Education||2|
|Select a 4-credit Bible/Theology course from the approved graduate program's Category I listing||4|
|Complete an Action Research Paper or thesis within five years of the first term as a full M.A.T. student|