The outline of the program is as follows:
- Candidates have completed upon admission to the Graduate School: (1) a bachelor’s degree in an approved content area from an accredited institution and passing scores on the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or completed an ACT/SAT waiver.
- During the first academic year, candidates take a total of 30 credits of professional education courses - EDUC 515L, EDUC 225, EDUC 521L, EDUC 312, EDUC 315, EDUC 317, EDUC 305, EDUC 505L, EDUC 511, EDUC 511L, EDUC 541, EDUC 542, MATH 125, SCI 322, and SSCI 321.
- During the second year, candidates will be enrolled full-time fall semester for their student teaching experience (EDUC 587, EDUC 594, plus EDUC 596) and spring semester for graduate courses (EDUC 529, EDUC 531, EDUC 598, INTR 618, BITH 521 and an additional course from the approved graduate program’s Category I listing). With the satisfactory completion of student teaching and the State of Illinois examinations, candidates can apply for State of Illinois teacher licensure.
- In consultation with the M.A.T. coordinator, M.A.T. students who are not involved in an educational setting after completion of coursework may petition to substitute EDUC 698 Thesis and pay tuition for the additional two hours.
- Each subsequent semester until the thesis is completed candidates must enroll in EDUC 599 Action Research Continuation or EDUC 699 Thesis Continuation and pay the continuation fee.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching degree will be awarded once all degree requirements are complete and the action research paper or thesis is satisfactorily completed and accepted by Buswell Library.
Wheaton College Graduate School
Toll free: 800.888.0141 or 630.752.5195
Requirements for the General Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Licensure degree are 24 hours of possible undergraduate prerequisites and 34 graduate hours including:
|EDUC 511||Theories and Methods of Teaching Elementary and Middle School Students||2|
|EDUC 511L||Methods Practicum for Elementary and Middle School||0|
|EDUC 529||Literacy Assessment||2|
|EDUC 531||Ethical Perspectives on Teaching||2|
|EDUC 541||Statistics in Education||2|
|EDUC 542||Research Methodologies in Education||2|
|EDUC 587||Philosophical Foundations of Education||3|
|EDUC 594||Craft Of Teaching||2|
|EDUC 596||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 598||Action Reserch Paper||2|
|INTR 618||English Language Learning Content Methods and Materials||2|
|BITH 521||Theology Of Education||2|
|Select one 4-credit Bible/Theology course from the approved graduate program's Category I listing||4|
|Complete an Action Research Paper or thesis within five years of the first term as a full M.A.T. student|