The outline of the program is as follows:
- Candidates complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree in the first four enrollment years. During this enrollment period, candidates also complete the following courses: EDUC 135, EDUC 136, EDUC 225, EDUC 305, EDUC 313 Theories and Methods of Teaching Elementary and Middle School Students, EDUC 314, EDUC 315, EDUC 317, EDUC 505L, EDUC 511L, EDUC 512 Theories and Methods: Elementary and Middle School Reading, EDUC 515L, EDUC 521L, EDUC 542, EDUC 551, LING 618, MATH 125, SCI 322, and SSCI 321.
- During the fall semester, candidates will be enrolled full-time for their student teaching experience (EDUC 587, EDUC 594, and EDUC 596), and spring semester for graduate courses (EDUC 531, EDUC 597, LING 531 and a Category I BITH course). With the satisfactory completion of student teaching and the State of Illinois examinations, candidates may apply for State of Illinois teacher licensure.
- In consultation with the M.A.T. coordinator, M.A.T. students who want to conduct educational research may petition to substitute EDUC 698 for EDUC 597.
- Each subsequent semester until the Scholarly Inquiry Paper (SIP) or thesis is completed, candidates must enroll in EDUC 599 or EDUC 699 and pay the continuation fee.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching degree will be awarded once all degree requirements are complete and the Scholarly Inquiry Paper or thesis is satisfactorily completed and accepted by Buswell Library.
Requirements for the Accelerated Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Licensure degree are graduate 34 hours including:
|EDUC 512||Theories and Methods: Elementary and Middle School Reading||4|
|EDUC 531||Ethical Perspectives on Teaching||2|
|EDUC 542||Research Methodologies in Education||2|
|EDUC 551||Mind, Brain, and Education||2|
|EDUC 587||Philosophical Foundations of Education||3|
|EDUC 594||Craft Of Teaching||2|
|EDUC 596||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 597||Scholarly Inquiry Paper||2|
|LING 531||Theological Perspectives on Language and Education||2|
|LING 618||English Language Learning Content Methods and Materials||2|
|Select one 4-credit Bible/Theology course from the approved graduate program's Category I listing||4|
|Complete a Scholarly Inquiry Paper within five years of the first term as a full M.A.T. student|