The outline of the program is as follows:
- Candidates complete requirements for a bachelor’s degree in the first four enrollment years. During this enrollment period, candidates also complete the following courses: EDUC 135, EDUC 136, EDUC 136L, EDUC 225, EDUC 225L, EDUC 312, EDUC 315, EDUC 317, EDUC 305, EDUC 505L, EDUC 511, EDUC 511L, EDUC 541, and EDUC 542, MATH 125, SCI 322, and SSCI 321.
- During the fall semester, candidates will be enrolled full-time for their student teaching experience (EDUC 596, EDUC 587, and EDUC 595, and spring semester for graduate courses (EDUC 529, EDUC 531, EDUC 598, INTR 618, BITH 521 and a Category I BITH course). With the satisfactory completion of student teaching and the State of Illinois examinations, candidates can apply for State of Illinois teacher licensure.
- In consultation with the M. A. T. coordinator, M.A.T. students who are not involved in an educational setting after completion of coursework may petition to substitute EDUC 698 Thesis and pay tuition for the additional two hours.
- Each subsequent semester until the ARP or thesis is completed; candidates must enroll in EDUC 599 Action Research Continuation or EDUC 699 Thesis Continuation and pay the continuation fee.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching degree will be awarded once all degree requirements are complete and the action research paper or thesis is satisfactorily completed and accepted by Buswell Library.
Wheaton College Graduate School
Toll free: 800.888.0141 or 630.752.5195
Requirements for the Accelerated Master of Arts in Teaching: Elementary Licensure degree are graduate 34 hours including:
|EDUC 511||Theories and Methods of Teaching Elementary and Middle School Students||2|
|EDUC 511L||Methods Practicum for Elementary and Middle School||0|
|EDUC 529||Literacy Assessment||2|
|EDUC 531||Ethical Perspectives on Teaching||2|
|EDUC 541||Statistics in Education||2|
|EDUC 542||Research Methodologies in Education||2|
|EDUC 587||Philosophical Foundations of Education||3|
|EDUC 594||Craft Of Teaching||2|
|EDUC 596||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 598||Action Reserch Paper||2|
|INTR 618||English Language Learning Content Methods and Materials||2|
|BITH 521||Theology Of Education||2|
|Select one 4-credit Bible/Theology course from the approved graduate program's Category I listing||4|
|Complete an action research paper or thesis|