The outline of the program is as follows:
- Candidates have completed upon admission to the Graduate School: (1) a bachelor's degree in an approved content area from an accredited institution; (2) a passing score on the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (TAP) or completed an ACT/SAT waiver, and (3) a passing score on an Illinois content area examination.
- During the first academic year, candidates will take a total of 20 credit hours of professional education courses— EDUC 515L, EDUC 225, EDUC 521L, EDUC 305,EDUC 505L, their major department’s methods course, EDUC 527L, EDUC 506, EDUC 531, EDUC 541 andEDUC 542; INTR 618; BITH 521; and an additional four-hour Bible/Theology course from the approved graduate program's Category I listing; and any coursework to meet licensure deficiencies in their content area.
- During the second year of enrollment, candidates will enroll full-time fall semester for their student teaching experience (EDUC 596, EDUC 587, EDUC 594, plus EDUC 598 ). With the satisfactory completion of student teaching and the State of Illinois examinations, candidates can apply for State of Illinois teacher licensure.
- In consultation with the M.A.T. coordinator, M.A.T. students who are not involved in an educational setting after completion of coursework may petition to substitute EDUC 698 Thesis and pay tuition for the additional two hours.
- Each subsequent semester until the thesis is completed candidates must enroll in EDUC 599 Action Research Continuation or EDUC 699 Thesis Continuation and pay the continuation fee.
- The Master of Arts in Teaching degree will be awarded once all degree requirements are complete and the action research paper or thesis is satisfactorily completed and accepted by Buswell Library.
Wheaton College Graduate School
Toll free: 800.888.0141 or 630.752.5195
Requirements for the General Master of Arts in Teaching: Secondary/Special Licensure degree are 16 hours of possible undergraduate prerequisties and 34 graduate hours including:
|EDUC 527L||Secondary and Middle Education Practicum||0|
|EDUC 531||Ethical Perspectives on Teaching||2|
|EDUC 541||Statistics in Education||2|
|EDUC 542||Research Methodologies in Education||2|
|EDUC 506||Classroom Communication and Curriculum Integration||4|
|EDUC 587||Philosophical Foundations of Education||3|
|EDUC 594||Craft Of Teaching||2|
|EDUC 596||Student Teaching||9|
|EDUC 598||Action Reserch Paper||2|
|INTR 618||English Language Learning Content Methods and Materials||2|
|BITH 521||Theology Of Education||2|
|Select one 4-credit Bible/Theology course from the approved graduate program's Category I listing||4|
|Complete an Action Research Paper or thesis within five years of the first term as a full M.A.T. student|